TW: Alcohol, addiction
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t drink alcohol. You can do whatever you want. But targeting the queer community for harmful products needs to stop.
Gay men are three times as likely as straight men to be addicted to alcohol. Other people in the LGBT spectrum are also more likely to have problems with addiction and alcoholism.
There are many reasons for this. For instance, the most common place for queer people to even meet other queer people (especially gay cis men) is in bars. We have created an entire culture based on what is fun to do at bars. The entire formation of the queer identity for many people is often based on their experiences with queer people they meet in bars. Bars are actually a unifying force in the queer community. Next time you go to Pride, see how long you can look at a crowd without seeing someone drinking.
Also, LGBT people are much more likely to suffer from depression due to rejection and the overwhelming oppression we face in our day to day lives. People with depression often attempt to self medicate with alcohol (and other drugs).
And then we have these companies. They know that they can exploit our pain and turn it into a profit. They know that queer people are so desperate to be treated decently that they will confuse being targeted for and addictive drug with acceptance.
And why does Coors get away with targeting LGBT people like this, since they donate so much money to anti-gay corporations and have been the center of criticism for their historically homophobic policies?
And the glorification of being out of the closet is really just gross. Not everyone is in a safe place or position to come out. And they need to stop with this whole “no labels” bs because having an identity to attach your experiences to is very important for many LGBT people.
Another thing to consider is that, as a result of alcohol being central to queer spaces, HIV rates are increasing. Use of alcohol often leads to unsafe sex and poor decision making.
- wordstomeawhisper reblogged this from jcatgrl
- kaomatera likes this
- fibonaccisequins likes this
- snugglesfordean reblogged this from jcatgrl
- sentimental-carp likes this
- girlwhowalkedtheearth likes this
- kelseypogue likes this
- jcatgrl reblogged this from thefirstgaypridewasariot
- justaquickquestion reblogged this from skeletrender
- shadowteck13 reblogged this from grinnan-bearette
- shadowteck13 likes this
- doesntafraid likes this
- doingtherhododendrons reblogged this from sociolab
- nulchar likes this
- anomalous11 likes this
- skeletrender reblogged this from captain-jaybird
- skeletrender likes this
- captain-jaybird reblogged this from smallboyonherbike
- theladyastoriadevereux likes this
- sawhimstandingthere likes this
- grinnan-bearette reblogged this from cubstearns
- smallboyonherbike reblogged this from sociolab
- cubstearns reblogged this from sociolab and added:
- stormfooted likes this
- cubstearns likes this
- sunrise43 reblogged this from sociolab and added:
- ricardeux likes this
- estarburst likes this
- realitycrutch reblogged this from sociolab
- yeahhaey likes this
- recreationalsociologist likes this
- mutablefire reblogged this from sociolab
- girlwithatopknot reblogged this from sociolab
- exceptionallyeccentric reblogged this from sociolab
- onelostsoulswiminginafishbowl likes this
- okizzle likes this
- sociologyscout likes this
- mypetitmal likes this
- sociolab reblogged this from thecoffeebreaklife
- freakingdork likes this
- lindsaysays reblogged this from thecoffeebreaklife
- gatorxinsc reblogged this from thecoffeebreaklife and added:
- thecoffeebreaklife reblogged this from mariavontraphouse
- contagiousqueer reblogged this from queercorn
- tortillachipcat likes this
- serendipityou reblogged this from littleelvengirl
- podobock reblogged this from littleelvengirl and added:
- podobock likes this
- applesaidmoo reblogged this from thebeautifulfrenzy
- littleelvengirl reblogged this from lifeisfeedingcaketozombies